A Trip to Taj Mahal Imports: Discovering A Hidden Delicacy

I had no idea what to expect before entering Taj Mahal Imports, a local grocery store filled with Indian products, a produce section, a collection of religious figures and paintings, and a wide variety of Indian spices. From the moment I stepped in the market, I was overwhelmed with the cultural ambiance that surrounded me. The market was in no way similar to your typical Tom Thumb, and the organization of the products was a little scattered but not entirely difficult to navigate. After a quick twenty minute drive from campus on the freeway, and  walking into what looks like any ordinary grocery store, you could say it was somewhat of a surprise to find an entirely unique atmosphere representative of the Indian culture.

If you continue walking towards the back of the market, you will find a hidden treasure, that is the splendorous small restaurant that has an abundant menu of quintessential Indian street food. The inexpensive options on the menu are all vegetarian and the quality of the food is well-crafted and served to you by the warmest of smiles coming from the women working behind the counter.

I was a little hesitant to try something on the menu, as I haven’t had the greatest experience with Indian food in the past. I chose to taste test the samosa chaat, and was pleasantly surprised by the flavor of the spices and the texture of the potato puff that was the base of the dish. After trying that dish, my outlook on Indian food  changed. Before visiting this local spot, the only Indian food I had ever had and actually enjoyed was naan, one of the most basic side-dishes. I’ve decided to be a little more adventurous with my eating and adapt to the unusual and unique taste of diverse Indian spices.

The environment of the market was friendly and welcoming to our class as we entered this new “world.” Sen discusses in the chapter, From Curry Mahals to Chaat Cafes, “The importance of food in an immigrant culture makes restaurants, grocery stores, and kitchens important sites where ethnicity is practiced and reproduced on a daily basis” (Sen, 3). As I walked down the aisles of this unfamiliar place, I took in my surroundings, noticing the variety of products on the shelves. I took note of items ranging from packaged channa masala, besan (chickpea flour) to moong dal (dried moong beans). These are never products you would find in a typical American grocery store, and deciphering the pronunciation of these peculiar items was a task in it’s own right.

12048654_1022750971098101_292585192_n

You could call Taj Mahal Imports a hole in the wall, but nevertheless, there are definitely regular customers who come for the exquisite chaat delicacy. The aroma of smells was wafting from the small kitchen at the rear of the store. The intensity of the flavors in the dish were astounding and made me want to try even more popular Indian dishes.

12086993_1022750934431438_1706327359_n

Visiting this small grocery store was an experience that introduced to me to an entirely new culture and I am eager to learn more about Indian food and culture. The employees working at Taj Mahal Imports were attentive to their customers and excited that our class was willing to try new foods and immerse ourselves in an unfamiliar culture.