Who Knew The Chaat House Was That Much Fun!

Last Thursday our class visited the Taj Chaat House in west Plano. Recognized as one of the 10 best Chaat Houses in Plano by Yelp, I was excited what was in store.

When I first arrived, there were only a few us there, so we took the opportunity to walk around and see the grocery store adjacent to the restaurant. We were lucky. It was a little early and most people were still at work, leaving the store largely empty for us to roam around. When we first entered, there were many imitation flower leighs hanging by the door – reminded me immediately of past trips to Bangalore, Delhi, and Goa. A little further in, you can’t help but notice the massive amount of rice that had been stacked two to three feet tall in all directions. There were several varieties of rice – more than I have ever seen or would know what to do with – and it was interesting to think about the different dishes that could be made with each.

Walking around a little more we notice the brightly painted deities that were stored above the shelves of various goods all around the perimeter of the building. They were of Ganesh and other famous gods. Some small, others very large, but all of them full of color and energy. None of us had ever seen so many of these grouped into a single place.

There was a lot more to discover. We were searching for the spices. We could smell them, but couldn’t find them. So row after row we walked. We saw all manner of grocery store goods – mostly new to us and completely foreign. Just figuring out what some items were, how they were to be used, and what you could make with them became kind of a fun game of discussion. The, turning the corner, I saw bag after bag, row after row, of various chilis. The chili was ground into various courses depending on the type and intended purpose, and always came in quantities you think would only be sold at Costco. It smelled amazing, looked wonderful, and inspired me to buy a few different types to try out.

Then, the fun began. We entered the Chaat House and ordered some food. I chose the Masala Dosa, and the Pani Puri. Here I will focus on the Pani Puri because it was so amazing! Travelling for years in India this is an item you see people eating on the streets in huge quantities. Think a small, puff pastry that you punch a hole in the top of, fill with seasoned broth, potatoes, and beans. It tastes better than I could have imagined and is a new favorite.  I will bring my family to come try this. You receive several to an order and can choose to eat at the table (which I did and was a mistake), or at the counter where they properly prepare them for you and serve one at a time. Highly recommend this experience.

So fun! Try the Taj Chaat House in Plano.