Modern India through the eyes of Krishna

Last Thursday, my class and I visited a temple in East Dallas in order to gain an enriching experience of the Hare Krishna followers. Upon arrival, I was expecting the temple to encompass both Greek and Arabic architecture influences. However, as I observed the outside, the temple encompassed hints of modernism and simplicity through the contrast use of white and gold facades. The curved areas at the top illustrated the province of divinity.

In ISKON’S Search for Self-Identity, the article introduces the establishment of social class through the direct contrasts of “uptown” and “downtown” swami. From the shift of establishing the classes, the fundamental route of the divisions originated in religion. Hindu followers emphasize Vishnu, Vishnu is one of the three gods in the holy trinity of Hinduism. Vishnu is known as the “preserver” and guardian of his men (Dhavamony, 1982). The appraisals and honoring’s to the paganist gods illustrate devotion and amplified faith. For instance, Vishnu’s incarnations and scriptures point ways for living life in a modernized society. What was once a small faith of religion in New York has now captivated international souls.

The tour guide surprised me at first, he was very quick to his feet upon his first greeting. The guide suggested we take off one’s shoes. The removing of shoes fascinated me because I grew up in a Baptist community, so I am use to worshipping and praying with my shoes on. From the removal of shoes, the group was lead into a hot, immense, and colorful room of divinity. The lecture opened with an introduction of our names and I became a part of a short demonstration of “carne” (meat in Spanish) to illustrate the living and its sacredness. Being a part of the demonstration lead me to think of my daily consumption of animals. Secondly, I learned about the time of devotion to one’s supreme, one must not seek religion for one’s benefit but to seek anointment and spiritual closeness. The levels use to display the hierarchy of religious followers made one ponder their spiritual calling. The calling of faith should not be to gain, but a faith for one’s love of god.

I was in awe when I saw Krishna displayed in the tree because he seemed very holy and the woman around seemed to admire his beauty through the use of raised and clasped hands on their chest. As the class journeyed to each painting, I learned how Krishna helped contribute to commoners and attributed to the moral message of selfless help and spiritual guidance. The paintings pointed Krishna in blue to indicate his omnipresence to all.

The song at the end was very fun and showcased the attitude of coming together in all walks of life and displaying love. The field trip to the temple was interesting and I would encourage multitudes of faiths to keep an open mind and visit. I would like to come back and try the buffet because of the rich and health benefits in the cuisine.