Color on the SMU Campus

Holi is an Indian festival celebrated at the end of February or early March where the Indian people celebrate the triumph of the “good” over the “bad.” It is also celebrated to forget old grievances and greet others with warmth and kindness. It is marked by the burning and the destruction of the demoness and is also called the “Festival of Colors,” getting the name from the Hindu god, Lord Krishna, who used to drench the village girls in water and colors. It seems like a very lively holiday where people throw colored powder on each other, dance and have parties. There are also rituals performed, like the burning of the demoness Holika with a large bonfire (http://www.holifestival.org).

The Indian Student Association and Program Council decided to throw a Holi celebration for SMU students this year on April 7th. This was the first time that a celebration like this has been thrown on campus, so it was definitely a new experience for many of us. Being a big fan of events such as the “Color Runs,” where powdered paint is thrown on you as you run, I was veryIMG_3651 excited for this event. I had to help set up the event, because I am a member of Program Council, but then after that I got to enjoy. Indian food, such as samosas, were catered and given out to people for free, and a mix of both Indian and American music was played. Soon after, they gave us each some powdered paint packets and the fun began. The grass and the air was covered in so many different colors, people were dancing, and there were some friendly paint fights that occurred as well. My white t-shirt and shorts were covered in an array of colors that represent the fun filled festival that came to our campus. Everyone had a great time, and I cannot wait to celebrate Holi again next year!