One Fight at a Time

Last week our class traveled to FunAsiA Theater in Richardson, Texas. I had no clue what to expect upon arriving at the theater. I was pleasantly surprised walking in and smelling the delicious Indian food. We tried the samosas and the cheat, and both dishes were very tasty. We then took our seats and awaiting the start of the film.
The movie entitled Irudhi Suttru, known as Saala Khadoos in Hindi. This film follows the story of a former boxer named Adi Tomar. Adi was a phenomenal boxer, but because of politics surrounding the boxing association his career was cut short. The film opens with him, years later, acting as a coach for women boxers. Two sisters, Lux and Madhi, come from a poor fish selling family. Lux has been training to become a cop and is a competitive boxer. But, Adi finds the raw and true boxing talent in Lux’s sister, Madhi. Adi is determined to train Madhi and turn her into a champion boxer. She agrees to box if Adi pays her hourly. The two consistently butt heads, as they are both very strong-willed and stubborn. The two have many ups and downs throughout their relationship. Finally, Madhi gets the opportunity to compete in the World Boxing Championship through a wild card entry. Madhi went up against a heavy weight Russian boxer and ends up truly fighting for her life. She is able to defeat her opponent with a knockout. The film closes with Madhi and Adi in an embrace.
There are a few other intertwined stories that take place within the film. Madhi goes from resenting her coach, Adi, to becoming infatuated with him later on in the movie. She attempts to let Adi know how she feels, but he quickly makes it clear to Madhi that their relationship is strictly a student and coach relationship. At the same time, the viewer is able to see dedication and closeness that comes about in a relationship of this nature. Adi and Madhi are bonded over their mutual love and need for the sport of boxing. They are both working towards a mutual goal, and therefore they share a special closeness.
This film also shows a struggling relationship between two sisters and how jealously can cause strife between family members. Lux was originally the one that was supposed to become the great boxer, but this dream was pulled away from her when Adi sees the real talent in Madhi. This causes a riff between the two girls, but eventually family trumps everything else. Lux is cheering her sister on in the World Championship match and is there to be her biggest fan when Madhi needs it most.
This was my first Bollywood film, and I can honestly say I was pleasantly surprised. The movie held my attention the whole time, and I felt that there were many layers to it. I learned a lot about Indian culture and the importance of boxing in the country. The film does a phenomenal job of combining drama and comedy to make the experience a great one.