My First Bollywood Film Experience

As I arrived to FunAsia, a small movie theatre in Richardson, Texas, I did not know what to expect as I experienced my first Bollywood movie. I walked in the theatre and my nostrils filled with the different aromas of spices from India. The tickets were buy one get one free and it was only five dollars, so it was definitely a steal for a two and half hour film. The theatre concessions had the typical movie food like popcorn and candy, but it also features Indian cuisines such as samosas. The movie we saw was called Shaandaar and it a very energetic film to say at least. It featured a lot of singing and dancing throughout the movie, which amused me. The movie featured a lot customs we talked about in class, such as arranged marriages, Indians being married around a fire, and Hindis being cremated after their death like the grandmother was in the movie. The movie had subtitles throughout the movie, but there were scenes when the actors spoke English. This is because the movie is being taken placed in Britain. There was also a strange scene when the family of the movie took what seemed to be magic mushrooms. It was a weird scene because I didn’t know what was going on and there were children in the theatre making it even weirder. Finally the most interesting part I found about my first Bollywood experience was that were was a ten-minute intermission between the movie.

india movie field