panelarrow

The Taj Mahal Imports Gallery

| 0 comments

Before I begin, I feel like it is my duty to provide a small caveat to better explain why I’m writing about art found in a grocery store. I’m not very adventurous when it comes to food, so upon arrival at the Taj Mahal Imports, I stayed away from the chaat counter in the back. I gave it a shot and listened to some descriptions of the food, and observed what my peers got. However, I could not get myself to order anything. This may have not been extremely helpful as the point of the field trip was to experience Indian “street food.” Arijit Sen’s stated in his article that the “new chaat cafes sport self-serve delis and informal décor” (205). Sen also mentioned that the experience of the chaat counter and the grocery store are not “segregated” (212). In my opinion Sen is emphasizing that the chaat counter is a different experience than Indian curry restaurants that came before it, and that experience extends to the ease of moving from one section to another. With that being said, I decided to explore the store in juxtaposition with the chaat counter in the back.

The store itself was grungy to say the least. I immediately spotted the twenty-pound bags of rice piled high and covering the width of three aisles when I first walked in.

As I wandered through the aisles, avoiding the chaat counter, I couldn’t help but notice the haphazard way things were organized on the shelves and throughout the store. I looked at products I could barely announce, and even found an aisle dedicated to British Food, but what I found most shocking was the art scattered throughout the store. These pieces weren’t little knick-knacks or posters you purchase at a pharmacy or Walmart. They were $200 pieces of artwork casually displayed above some product called Bru.

In front of the bags of rice was a display of brightly colored figurines that were 50% off, so a 20 mm figurine now cost only $115.

I quickly scanned the store looking at the artwork that seemed to have been shipped to the wrong store. I could not get over the fact that thirty feet away from a $499 statue was a $3 plate of food.

The chaat counter and the grocery store live within the same building, and invite all sorts of people to explore it’s interior. But, there is a difference between purchasing some tea or shampoo and purchasing art. I can understand some of the little figurines finding their place there. When you go to grab a quick bite to eat, something might catch your eye to put on your desk at work or give to a friend. But, I don’t believe someone would casually buy a portrait during lunch. I’m not sure if art in a grocery store with a chaat counter is the norm. I personally found it delightfully unusual.

I have no idea if I would have even given the art a second thought if I actually ate the food because that probably would have occupied my time. Then again, eating and perusing art is a thing; it’s just not typically found in a grocery store.