panelarrow

Fast Food Done Right

| 0 comments

Ever heard that the hole in the wall restaurants are the most delicious and authentic? Well, I had my first chaat experience in Richardson last Tuesday. The restaurant was towards the back of the Taj Majal imports grocery store. They layout was similar to the second layout at Vik’s Distributors, from the article From Curry Mahals to Chaat Café by Arijit Sen. The front of the store were aisles of groceries and the back left corner was the simple café. This café did not feel American what so ever. It gave off what I felt would be as close to the real experience as one could get in the states. The café and the environment inside was true authentic Indian vibe. The menu was printed in English letters but different language. Since I had no idea what a chaat was, I ordered the first item on the menu, which happened to be the one recommended by Professor Ball-Philips. Once I ordered my meal, I was ready to pay, not knowing the payment wasn’t due until after the meal was enjoyed. So, I sat down to wait for my meal and the moment I did so, it was already ready! I was surprised how fast the food was prepared. I right away tasted so many flavors off my first bite. The chaat was a mix of spices and cheese and potato. Sounds simple, but did not look simple. The small bowl was extremely filling to the point that I could not even finish my entire chaat. I was overly content with was I had ate. While I waited for the ladies preparing to pay, I heard some other customers speaking in a different language. It seemed as if they were enjoying their lunch break at the café. This reminded me of the article. The author explained that it is common for people to stop by a chaat café and have lunch while chatting (Sen 205). That is exactly how it felt like while the class was visiting. Everyone there was getting together and having a fun casual time. Towards the end of our adventure, everyone paid their dues, which mine was $3.50. Not only was this fast and delicious but it was also particularly cheap. I would but rather stop by a chaat café from now on, than a fast food chain restaurant. The eye opener of a new culture might be shocking for some, while it isn’t McDonalds most people are accustomed to. But, I do highly recommend it for anyone who has an open mind. There was a small language barrier and it did not look spotlessly clean, but hey, that’s what makes this spot unique and true to its roots. Like the Arijit Sen explained, these places are for all sorts of people to relax and enjoy a delicious plate of chaat. Even the wealthy go in a humble state of mind and appearance (Sen 205). So next time I am hungry and in the mood for something spicy and tangy, I may find myself heading back to the Taj Mahal Imports chaat café.