A Taste of Taj Mahal

In the middle of a very basic strip mall off the freeway, there is a large grocery store called Taj Mahal Imports, which is where I had my first experience of a Chaat Café. From the outside, the store looked Americanized and undistinguishable from the surrounding businesses. However, upon walking in, I found myself in a rather unfamiliar environment. In the front of the store there were stacks of flours and other grains I usually do not see in chain grocery stores, next to a medium-sized collection of colorful Indian trinkets you may place on display in your home. The aisle titles included food groups I had not heard of or were not common in typical American markets, such as vermicelli and “drink powders.” There was even an aisle dedicated to British goods. I guess that although the people of India expelled the British from their land, they kept their affinity for the imperialist’s sweets and jams. Walking down the aisles, I sometimes could not find any familiar foods. I passed exotic ingredients and spices, as well a few unidentifiable fruits and vegetables. There was even a section of large chains of fake flowers and a few hand drums.

The actual Chaat Café was located in the back of the store, behind the aisles, and it consisted of a small kitchen, counter, and cash register. In front, there was a large picnic table for seating, which might fill up during the busier time of day. There were two women working behind the counter and they offered about ten different types of chaat. Chaat is a term that describes savory snacks that are usually sold from food carts or roadside vendors in North India. Chaat, which originates from the word chatpata, means to “lick” or “taste” in Hindi. In India, a group of men would share some chaat before heading home after work, the same way working people in America might share a beer after a long day.

I asked about every item on the menu, as I had never heard of dishes like “Dahi Bhalla” and “Aloo Tikki.” I watched as the students in front of me were handed bowls of deliciously smelling, and rather colorful food. I finally decided on the Samosa Chaat, which is a fried pastry stuffed with potatoes and piled high with onions, chickpeas, yogurt, spices, and sauces. I didn’t know half of what I was eating and yet I ate every bite. Many students braved the Pani Puri, which we were told makes some people gag. Pani Puri is made by filling a fried, hollow puri with chickpeas, rice, and spices and then dunking it into many different spicy waters to make a food that is half solid, half liquid. While it sounds very strange to an American, many of the students really liked it. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and I certainly need to come back and try the other chaat dishes as well. Maybe I’ll even venture into the grocery aisles and open myself to a new world of food.