UNAM, Mexico City, Mexico, Physics, B.S. 1981
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA , Applied Mathematics M.S., 1983
University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, Applied Mathematics Ph.D., 1988
Professor, Department of Mathematics, Southern Methodist University 2008-
Chair, Department of Mathematics, Southern Methodist University 2015-2021
Chair, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of New Mexico, 2004-2008
Assistant, Associate, and Full Professor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of New Mexico, 1989-2008.
Visiting Associate Professor, Brown University, Applied Mathematics 09/1996- 05/1997.
Visiting Research Associate (1/90-6/90), Heriot-Watt University, 01/1990-06/1990.
- 1998-2001 University of New Mexico Regents Lecturer
- “David Alcaraz” Annual Lecture, UNAM (University of Mexico). Mexico City, Mexico. November 2001.
- Distinguished Lecture, Department of Mathematics, University of Texas Pan American, April 2010
- Elected Chair of the Nonlinear Waves and Coherent Structures Activity Group of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM). 2005-06.
- Member of Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society.
- Honorary Member of the Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society.
- Invited Professorship, Universite de Limoges, Research Institute, Photonics Department, Limoges France, July 2012.
- Faculty Fellow, Air Force Research Laboratory, Summers 2013, 14.
- Invited Professorship, Universita di Brescia, Department of Information Engineering, Brescia Italy, May-July 2015.
- Elected Fellow of the Optical Society of America (OSA), 2016.
- Invited Professorship, Laboratorie de Mathematiques INSA-Rouen, Rouen France, June 2016.
- Long term visitor, NSF Institute for Mathematics and its Applications, University of Minnesota, Spring 2017.
- Visiting researcher, University of Deusto, Bilbao Spain, June 2017.
- Elected Fellow of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) 2021.
- Cuevas-Maraver, P. G. Kevrekidis, A. B. Aceves and A. Saxena (2017), “Solitary waves in a two dimensional binary waveguide array described by the discrete nonlinear Dirac equation”, Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical 50 (49), 495207
- Umberto Biccari and A. Aceves (2018), WKB expansion for a fractional Schrodinger equation with applications to controllability”, arXiv preprint arXiv:1809.08099.
- A. B. Aceves, J. G. Caputo, I. Khames and A. Knippel (2018),”Localized solutions of nonlinear wave equations on networks”, Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical 52 (3), 035101
- A Sukhinin, A. B. Aceves and JC Diels (2019), “Two-color pulse collapse events in dispersive media”, JOSA B 36 (10), G62-G67.
- K. Krupa, R. Fona, A. Tonello, A. Labruyere, B. M. Shalaby, S. Wabnitz, F. Baronio, A. B. Aceves and V. Couderc (2020), “Spatial Beam Self-Cleaning in Second-Harmonic Generation”, Nature, Scientific Reports (10), 7204.
- A. Copeland and A. Aceves, “Light Confinement in Coreless Twisted Photonic Crystal Fibers”, (2020) Fourteenth International Congress on Artificial Materials for Novel Wave Phenomena (Metamaterials),
New York City, NY, 2020, pp. 045-047, doi: 10.1109/Metamaterials49557.2020.9284964.
- Gbenga J. Abiodun, Babatope Adebiyi, Rita O. Abiodun, Olanrewaju Oladimejii, Kelechi Oladimeji, Abiodun M. Adeola, Olusola S. Makinde, Kazeem O. Okosun, Ramses Djidjou-Demasse, Vyes J. Semegni, Kevin Y. Njabo, Peter J. Witbooi and Alejandro Aceves (2020), “Investigating the resurgence of malaria prevalence in South Africa between 2015 and 2018: A scoping review”, The Open Public Health Journal, Vol. 13, 119-125.
- Olusola Samuel Makinde, Gbenga Jacob Abiodun, Aceves Alejandro, Olubukola Olayemi, Olusola-Makinde (2021), “Comparison of predictive models and impact assessment of lockdown for COVID-19 over the United States”, published Journal of Epidemiology and Global Health.
- Ross Parker and Alejandro Aceves (2021), “Multi-pulse solitary waves in a fourth-order NLS equation”, Physica D, Vol. 422, 132890.
- Ross Parker and Alejandro Aceves (2021), “Standing wave solutions in twisted multicore fibers”, Phys. Rev. A 103, 053505.
PI: ”SMU-RTG: Modeling and Computations for Complex Systems”, 08/01/19-07/31/24, National Science Foundation $2,343,000.
Single PI: ”Modeling Light Filamentation Science”, 08/01/19-07/31/22, National Science Foundation $169,989.
SMU-PI (Collaboration with UNM), ”Multi-color ﬁlaments for extended range, applied to remote sensing and laser induced EMP”, Army Research Oﬃce, 04/20/19-04/19/22, $185,000.
Most recent Synergistic activities
- Plenary speaker, XXX Inter-University Seminar on Research in the Mathematical Sciences (SIDIM) and Keynote speaker, Undergraduate Mathematics Research Conference (UMaRch), Universidad de Puerto Rico, Mayaguez, February, 2015. (Title of the talk: “Emerging opportunities of undergraduate research in nonlinear optics”)
- Invited participant of the National Academy of Engineering and the National research Council Workshop “Analytical Research Foundations for the Next Generation Grid”, Beckman Center, Irvine CA. February 11-12, 2015.
- Affiliate scientist at the Department of Energy Los Alamos National Laboratory (since 2003).
- Committee of Visitors (External review team), Division of Mathematical Sciences, National Science Foundation (NSF), 2016.
- Member of the Southern Methodist University Data Science Initiative Task Force, 2017-18.
- Invited speaker, SIAM Conference in Nonlinear Waves and Coherent Structures (NWCS18), June 11-14, 2018.
- Chair of the SIAM prize committee for the (SIAG/NWCS) MartinnKruskal Prize, 2018.
- Member the SIAM prize committee for the Ralph E. Kleinman Prize, 2020.
- (Appointed) Member of the SIAM committee on science policy, 01/2021 – 12/2023.
Students, Postdocs and Collaborators
Former and current SMU PhD students
- Alyssa Pampell (PhD June 2013), Orbital Debris Scientist and Project Manager at HX5, LLC.
- Edward Downes (PhD 2015), Mathematics High School Teacher St. Alcuin School
- Jessica Jutley (PhD 2017).
- Claudia-Castro-Castro (PhD 2017), Senior programer, Crytica Security
- Austin Copeland (PhD 2020), Financial analyst CitiBank
- Sabrina Hetzel (expected PhD 2024)
- Austin Marsteller (expected PhD 2024)
- Nick Bagley (expected PhD 2024)
Postdoctoral Mentoring at SMU: Previous: Dr. Yannan Shen (Currently at U. Kansas), Dr. Alexey Sukhinin (Currently, UNC Greensboro), Dr. Daniel Cargill (Currently Senior Member of Engineering Staff at Lockheed Martin ). Current: Dr. Ross Parker (PhD Brown University), Dr. Brian Choi (PhD. Boston University)
Most recent collaborators ; Prof Jean Claude Diels (University of New Mexico); Profs. Costantino de Angelis and Stefan Wabnitz (University of Brescia, Italy) Dr. Jean Guy Caputo (INSA, Rouen France); Prof. Sergei Turitsyn, (Aston U., UK).