UNAM, Mexico City, Mexico, BS Physics 1981
California Institute of Technology, MS Applied Mathematics 1983
University of Arizona, PhD Applied Mathematics 1988
Professor, Department of Mathematics, Southern Methodist University 2008-
Chair, Department of Mathematics, Southern Methodist University 2015-
Chair, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of New Mexico, 2004-2008
Assistant, Associate, and Full Professor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of New Mexico, 1989-2008.
Visiting Associate Professor, Brown University, Applied Mathematics 09/1996- 05/1997.
VisitingResearch Associate (1/90-6/90), Heriot-Watt University, 01/1990-06/1990.
- 1998-2001 University of New Mexico Regents Lecturer
- “David Alcaraz” Annual Lecture, UNAM (University of Mexico). Mexico City, Mexico. November 2001.
- Distinguished Lecture, Department of Mathematics, University of Texas Pan American, April 2010
- Elected Chair of the Nonlinear Waves and Coherent Structures Activity Group of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM). 2005-06.
- Member of Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society.
- Honorary Member of the Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society.
- Invited Professorship, Universite de Limoges, Research Institute, Photonics Department, Limoges France, July 2012.
- Faculty Fellow, Air Force Research Laboratory, Summers 2013, 14.
- Invited Professorship, Universita di Brescia, Department of Information Engineering, Brescia Italy, May-July 2015.
- Elected Fellow of the Optical Society of America, 2016.
- Invited Professorship, Laboratorie de Mathematiques INSA-Rouen, Rouen France, June 2016.
- Long term visitor, Institute for Mathematics and its Applications, University of Minnesota, Spring 2017.
- Visiting researcher, University of Deusto, Bilbao Spain, June 2017.
- Elected Fellow of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 2021.
- Pampell, A. B. Aceves and G. Srinivasan, (2014)”Predicting dynamic trends of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation for transient and stochastic forcing effects”, SIAM/ASA J. Uncertainty Quantification 2 585-606.
- A. B. Aceves, O. V. Shtyrina, A. M. Rubenchik, M.P. Fedoruk and S. K. Turitsyn, (2015) “Stability of optical bullets in 2-dimensional fiber arrays” Phys. Rev. A 91, 033810.
- Shen, P. G. Kevrekidis, G. Srinivasan and A. B. Aceves (2016), “Existence, stability and dynamics of discrete solitary waves in a binary waveguide array”, Journ. of Phys. A 49, 29520.
- Tsampikos Kottos and Alejandro B. Aceves (2016), “Synthetic Structures with Parity-Time Symmetry”, Chapter 9, Book: Contemporary Optoelectronics: Materials, Metamaterials to Device Applications, “Springer Series in Optical Sciences V. 199”. O. Shulika and I. Sukhoivanvov, Editors.
- De Angelis, A. Locatelli, A. Mutti and A. Aceves, (2016), “Coupling dynamics of 1D surface plasmon polaritons in tunable 2D systems”, Optics Letters. 41, 480-483.
- Jessica Jultey and Alejandro B. Aceves (2016), ”Spontaneous PT Symmetry breaking in nonlinearly coupled van der Pol oscillators”, Studies in Applied Mathematics 137 (2) 256-270.
- Krupa, A. Labruyere, , A. Tonello, B.M. Shalaby, V. Couderc, , F. Baronio and A. B. Aceves, (2015), “Self-guided supercontinuum generation: towards spatial and spectral control of light in crystals”, Optica 2(12) 1058-1064.
- Plenary speaker, XXX Inter-University Seminar on Research in the Mathematical Sciences(SIDIM) and Keynote speaker, Undergraduate Mathematics Research Conference (UMaRch), Universidad de Puerto Rico, Mayaguez, February, 2015. (Title of the talk: “Emerging opportunities of undergraduate research in nonlinear optics”)
- Invited participant of the National Academy of Engineering and the National research Council Workshop “Analytical Research Foundations for the Next Generation Grid”, Beckman Center, Irvine CA. February 11-12, 2015.
- Affiliate scientist at the Department of Energy Los Alamos National Laboratory (since 2003).
- Committee of Visitors (External review team), Division of Mathematical Sciences, National Science Foundation (NSF), 2016.
Students, Postdocs and Collaborators
Former PhD students
- Anjan Biswas (PhD 1998), Associate Prof., Alabama A&M
- Paul Bennett (PhD 2000), Scientist, Computer Science Corporation, Vicksburg MS)
- Tomas Dohnal (PhD 2005), Professor, Department of Mathematics, MLU Halle-Wittenberg , Germany.
- Gowri Srinivasan (PhD 2008), Deputy Group Leader, Physics Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- Alexey Sukhinin (PhD 2011), Research Scientist, SMU.
- Alyssa Pampell (PhD June 2013), Orbital Debris Scientist, NASA Orbital Derbis Program.
- Edward Downes (PhD 2015), Mathematics High School Teacher St. Alcuin School
- Jessica Jutley (PhD 2017)
- Claudia-Castro-Castro (PhD 2017),Senior pro-gramer, Crytica Security
- Austin Copeland (PhD 2020), Global Analytics Associate, Citibank
Dr. Gregory Luther (Adaptive Optics); Prof. Gustavo Cruz-Pacheco (University of Mexico); Prof. Costantino De Angelis (University of Brescia, Italy); Prof. Marco Santagiustina (University of Padova, Italy); Dr. Yannan Shen (Cal State LA). Current: Dr. Ross Parker, Dr. Brian Choi.
Most recent collaborators
Prof Jean Claude Diels (University of New Mexico); Profs. Costantino de Angelis and Stefan Wabnitz (University of Rome, Italy); Dr. Jean Guy Caputo INSA, Rouen France); Prof. Sergei Turitsyn (Aston U., UK).
Hi, this is a comment.
To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.