RETIREMENT

The fact of my retirement is setting in. I don’t think I will actually feel it until mid-August when school starts up and I won’t have to go to SMU. Under normal circumstances, in mid-July, I would probably start looking for music for a new roll down. I don’t get on iTunes very much these days yet heard a great new across the floor song on NPR’s The World today. I will pursue it. It is by a group from Mali called A2VT. I have actually purchased it.

I have been working on two fronts – one is health care, transitioning from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas, BCBSTX, to Medicare/Medicaid. I will make that transition on August 1, 2018. The rules and regulations are many and they are complicated. I had to call Medicare and declare that as of August 1, Medicare would be my Primary. Rhonda Adams at SMU Human Resources has been helping with all of this. She is amazing and has been unbelievably helpful.

I am also enrolled in a health care subsidy program called Emeriti. It is managed by TIAA Creff. You choose your overall health care plan and also a prescription drug program. SMU provides generous subsidies. The plan I chose would have cost about $220 – with the subsidy, it is about $60/month.

Another crucial part of retirement is beginning to withdraw funds from my 401(k). This is even more complicated and mandatory. You need to submit a Minimum Distribution Request. I will begin to get monthly direct deposits in September. A representative from Transamerica, Todd Huttson, has been working with me. There are IRS tables that help you figure out exactly what you should ask for. This is now a done deal. The monthly minimum distribution in addition to my Social Security will be great.

Went to the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports to transition my regular membership to a retiree membership. Can’t do that until August 1. (Lastly (I hope) I will need to get my retiree parking permit. I got my usual decal for the Meadows lot, but that was a mistake. I will trade it in for another version so I can still park on campus. Did that. Are we retired yet? Not quite, I’d say. I also need to get a new  retired faculty Emeriti ID. They were not able to do that. I am not officially retired in the system. Hoping things will change mañana.

All is finally done. This is my new Emeritus ID card. It is the same as my faculty/staff ID except that the colors are now reversed. Excellent!!