Summer 2017

Just thought I would recap what I’ll be doing this summer. I am going to Mexico on Sunday June 18 – to Playa del Carmen. We used to go every summer and have had some great times. The Gulf of Mexico is just beautiful. I like to swim in the ocean and the beaches are warm and inviting.. We will stay at Mahekal. We used to stay at Las Palapas which was right next door. They combined the two resorts and now we have Mahekal. I do hope that the weather cooperates. Playa del Carmen is about 30 miles south of Cancun. It has gotten quite commercial. I hope it has not gone overboard. Used to be able to find authentic, artisan Mexican products. That has become more difficult to do. The resort is spectacular.

From July 15 – August 6, I will be at the Bates Dance Festival in Lewiston, Maine. It is the festival’s 35th anniversary and the wonderful Laura Faure will be retiring after 25 years at the helm. I will be teaching Classic Jazz Dance IV and Repertory. Not only will I get to celebrate Laura, I will be able to reconnect with lots of great friends like Rachel List. Jackie Villamil (NYC’s Theater Dance Collection), is coming for a visit as is Cathy Young. I first went to Bates in 1986. Marcy Plavin was the first director. She founded the festival. This summer will mark my ninth time teaching at the festival. I usually rent a car for part of the time and try to make it to Ogunquit one weekend. It is a resort town and I make myself get in the water. It’s a lot colder than the Gulf of Mexico, but great nevertheless.

The first day of classes at SMU for the 2017-2018 school year is August 21. Off to the races for my last year of university teaching before retirement!!!!!