panelarrow

India Bazaar Visit

| 0 comments

Our class recently visited an Indian Bazaar location, this one located in Richardson, Texas. While there, we had the opportunity to look at many different types of food as well as tryout the dishes at the food counter as well. The store had a variety of different products. Many of these I had never heard of before. For instance, there was a rosewater syrup, which has its origins in the Middle East, that is said to go well with water and ice or milk strangely enough. Another interesting thing to see were the number of spices that go into tea. Although many of these had masala as their base, there were still different types of spices besides these.

Our class then got a chance to try out the foods located at the counter which sold already prepared dishes. I personally was not hungry and did not try it. However, these dishes looked delicious and if I ever find myself having a chance to try out these foods again, I will without hesitation. The way these counters and the dining area which go with it are very similar to the one we read about in the article assigned to read prior to visiting the grocery store. It was very interesting to see that this is more than likely a common trait across Indian grocery stores across the globe. In keeping with the spirit of the article, I believe this is truly because of what these stores mean to its customers in a cultural sense. The different areas of India are represented in the foods that are kept in the store. There is a large selection of rice, which would more than likely be very appealing to someone that is from the Southern part of India. One can also find flour and other ingredients to make bread, which a person from Northern India would enjoy. This store is also special because of what it does not only for those from India or with Indian heritage, but for those within the Dallas area who are of a different background. This grocery store exposes everyone to the culture of the Indian subcontinent, and the areas near it. It is a first hand look into the foods and subsequently the customs of the people of this are of the World. This is important and also very special. How often does one get a chance to experience another culture in such a direct fashion while in their own city? The answer seems to be not very often and therefore, a trip to India Bazaar means more than just picking up a few food items.

This class trip was certainly a fun and interesting experience. Not only was it cool and rewarding, but it was informative as well. The information I came away with about the different foods of India as well as how certain items are prepared is very nice to have. I also saw a few different products that I believe would be very good. Another trip to this store could happen soon.