panelarrow

Aisles of Spices at Indian Bazaar

| 0 comments

This past Thursday, June 21st, we visited an Indian grocery store in Richardson called the Indian Bazaar. When we arrived, we got to look on to the different aisles of food that the store offered. It was like a normal grocery store, like Kroger or Tom Thumbs, but this one was different because it contained what in India they would sell at a supermarket. I found this very interesting because the food that they sold was way cheaper than in a regular grocery store. Although it was an Indian grocery store, they sold Lays and Fanta, which are big franchises in the United States as well. What caught most of my attention was that although it was not a big grocery store, it contained a lot of different of variety of products. There were a lot of different spices and kinds of rice that I did not know even existed.

One thing I found very interesting about the isles, as I mentioned before, was the spice and rice aisles. In Panama, there are like 5 different kinds of rice, but here there were like 15 or even more. They were different kinds and brands. Some rice was puffy, other softer, and they also had the normal rice that we usually would eat. The spice aisle was also pretty interesting. Once we enter this specific part the smell of the whole grocery store suddenly changed. Indian spices are so powerful in smell, taste, and color. They look really pretty in the display because they are all different. Although they look pretty, they do not smell good. Some of the spices smell was so strong that it made me sneeze. It was really interesting to get to know how the different spices are used in certain foods and how these dishes are prepared. The majority of Indian dishes have to contain some kind of spice for it to have that rich and different taste.

At the end of the visit, some of my classmates felt adventurous and tried the different meals that the grocery store had to offer. So, once you enter this store, there is a little cafeteria with Indian delicacies you can buy and it right there. One of my classmates got the Samosas and let me bite a piece so I could taste it. To be honest, I both like and dislike it. It tasted really good but it was very spicy. I do not mind spicy food but this kind of Indian empanada was an extreme level of spicy.

It was pretty helpful to read the article before going inside the grocery store because it explains very well how this kind of Indian and even international stores work. Owners and locals put a lot of work and interest in these places because they want it to function the way it would in their natal country. It was good to read this article before the field trip because it made me realize how much these people care and love their culture no matter how close or far they are from it.