panelarrow

A Bazaar Experience

| 0 comments

On October 19, 2016, our Civilization of India class traveled to the Indian Bazaar in Richardson, Texas. I was immediately enthralled by the unique yet inviting smells and colorful sights of the grocery store. My eyes were drawn to the displays of colorful traditional sweets. The mere sight of curry powders made my mouth water. The smell of fried potatoes delighted my senses. This was definitely not a mundane trip to any old Kroger.

Though clear differences exist, I was able to draw several similarities between the Indian Bazaar and Whole Foods. Similar to Whole Foods, the store had three main sections: fresh produce, packaged goods, and a “snack” place known as the chaat cafe in Indian grocery stores. Rather than selling Hot Cheetos, the Bazaar sold crunchy Pakoda. Instead of selling watermelon, it sold Mangosteen, and instead of chocolate pudding, it sold Gulab Jamun. However, though there were several distinct merchandises sold at the ethnic grocery store, I was surprised to see many of the same items that are sold in mainstream American grocery stores. For example, many fruits such as apples and common sodas such as Coca Cola are sold in both stores. In “From Curry Mahals to Chaat Café’s,” Sen states that bazaars are sites of “hybridity and cultural contact where multiple worlds, networks, processes and ages interact with each other” (Sen 196). The Indian Bazaar depicts a multicultural space where Indian ethnic cuisine fuses with typical “American” foods. Additionally, the bazaar is rooted in a metropolitan suburb of Dallas, intermingling with its surrounding neighborhood, making it a “contemporary multicultural public space” (Sen 196). The presence of the Indian Bazaar in a predominately white neighborhood allows Indians and non-Indians alike to enjoy exquisite cuisine while creating a cultural space through local forms.

After looking around the grocery store, I stumbled across the Chaat Café. Chaat is typically made of a “crunchy mix of stuffed fillings and topped with a tangy sauce” (Sen 204). When I entered the chaat section of the bazaar, I ordered a crispy samosa filled with mashed potatoes and bits of vegetables and a mango lassi. The samosa came with green and brown chutney, which created a harmonious spicy yet savory delight when mixed together. The mango lassi was a bit sweet but it had a tangy twist to balance out my taste buds. Food is a unifying force within culture and chaat allows outsiders to catch a glimpse of India through its exquisite cuisine. Grocery stores, such as the Indian Bazaar, exemplify the importance of food in immigrant culture where “ethnicity is practiced and reproduced on a daily basis” (Sen 198). The Bazaar enables the ongoing participation of Indian culture whilst halfway across the world and contributes to the growing connections within the global network.

Samosas and Paneer Puffs sold at the Bazaar

Sen, Arijit. “From Curry Mahals to Chaat Cafes: Spatialities of the South Asian Culinary Landscape.” California Studies in Food and Culture, Volume 34: Curried Cultures: Globalization, Food, and South Asia. Ed. Krishnendu Ray and Tulasi Srinivas. Berkeley: U of California, 2012. 196-218. Print.