panelarrow

Shaandaar: A Peculiar Movie

| 0 comments

IMG_8589Have you ever seen a movie that is so odd and strange that it had your complete attention the entire time? Well, Shaandaar did just that. This extensive movie was so over the top and bizarre that I will probably remember it for the rest of my life. I must say, this film was not only entertaining but it also conveyed a moral message. The moral of this lengthy film was to, “be your own person, don’t let others dictate how you should live your life” (Signh www.livemint.com). Throughout the movie, the father, Bipin, continuously reminds his daughters that they are free to do whatever they like with his full support. He would specifically tell his eldest daughter she does not have to marry the man whom she is destined to marry for interest rather than love. Jay Arjun Signh also thought the movie was quite the elaborate eye catcher according to his article In Defense of ‘Shaandaar’. In his article, Singh states, “I was delighting in the many wacky touches, such as the operatic musical numbers: that mushroom interlude, which plays like a Peter Gabriel or Depeche Mode music video of the 1980s.” This come to show that the movie was entertaining in the most never imagined methods. From the charming flashback cartoons to the dark humor, Shaandaar showed a scene in which I feel is for all kinds of audience. Even the musical scenes very vastly detailed. It made me wonder if Indian wedding really are this extravagant. Obviously I would not image them having gold guns or limos, but rather if the hard work put in is as much interest to the entire family as it is to the bride-to-be. Another thought that came across my mind was whether arranged marriages were as forced (or family pressured) as it is shown in the movie by both parents of the non-willing betrotheds. From what I have learned in class, arranged marriage with the same class system is a norm. More specifically, I wonder if it may still be inevitable for certain classes, like the most wealthy or exclusive families, to marry within their social circle. Although the film made me think beyond purely entertainment, I must add that it bring all sorts of emotions to me. I laughed throughout the film and even felt sad in the scene where Bipin was imagining he was talking to his dead lover, who was Alia’s mother. On the contrary, there were some scenes in which I was not too fond of. A few things I thought was too much was the fact that Mr. Fundwani and Robin where portrayed as typical self-centered jerks and also the dark humor used against Dadi. Bipin, Alia and even the little kid where shown being graphically violent towards Dadi. People in the theater were laughing at the humor used towards her much wanted death, but I found it to be more on the weird side rather than the funny side. Again, the film had scenes to be enjoyed by a large spectrum of audiences. I personally enjoyed the film and its message. So if you are looking for humor, drama, romance, violence and action then Shaandaar is the musical to watch!