Fun at Funasia

Many people say that Bollywood films are some of the most outrageous and crazy movies out there, and well, I can’t say I disagree with those people. This past Tuesday my class made another trip to Richardson to a Bollywood movie theater, Funasia. After we purchased the five dollar movie ticket to Shaandaar (which is absolutely perfect for a college student), we entered the theater lobby and immediately took interest in the Indian movie snacks. The concession stand ranged from popcorn to samosas to chaat, immersing us further into the Indian culture. I purposely didn’t eat before so I could try the food, and it was delicious.

As we took our seats, the previews for other movies began to play, as they do in Hollywood movie theaters. Finally, the three hour movie had started. It began with a few animated scenes to set the setting and situation of the story, then transitioned into live action with human actors. The main plot of the movie is about a wedding that in turn sets up a business deal to allegedly benefit both families. This sort of arranged marriage has been a part of Indian culture for many generations, even though in the end the wedding ultimately falls apart. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie because it has multiple subplots that are easy to follow. For example, there is a romantic connection between Alia, the main protagonist, and the wedding planner. This plot progresses from Alia’s total love for only her father and sister to the wedding planner as well. But the best part, in my opinion, are all the silly comedic scenes and details about the movie. Like the fact that one of the families are entirely obsessed with gold (and the head of said family has a gun that he shoots around for no apparent reason). And when was the last time you saw a 10 minute scene about an entire family who were tripping on drugs in the middle of a picnic? I can say, without a doubt, that this movie has one of the most creative plot lines I’ve ever seen. I also thought the death of Mummyji, the head of the bride’s family, was an interesting scene in the sense that the entire family was laughing and celebrating her death (she was a cruel person so I can see where they’re coming from). The movie did finish with a happy ending and a new beginning for the main characters.

I also thought the difference of Bollywood movie theaters versus Hollywood movie theaters. Like how the music made me almost jump out of my seat in the beginning of the film. I guess they never adjusted the volume for movie theaters because I thought I was going to walk out of there deaf. Also, there was an intermission about halfway through the movie (which I had completely forgotten about). I had seen many Bollywood movies before then, usually at home, but I never had experienced a trip to a Bollywood movie theater. Nevertheless, my visit to Funasia to watch Shaandaar was a good experience.

shandaar-gulabo-alia-shahid