The NeuroMechatronics Lab aims to bridge the gap between current robotic exoskeleton technologies and the human neuromuscular system. We analyse the human nervous system from a mechatronics perspective and develop technologies that mimic and enhance human motion and sensing. Our main and most important goal is to use these research and technological advances to help people suffering from mobility impairments recover their independence.
peer-reviewed journal papers
- Unified Control of a Powered Knee-Ankle Prosthesis: Amputee Experiments Across Speeds and Inclines. D. Quintero, D. Villarreal, D. Lambert, S. Kapp, and R. Gregg. IEEE Transactions on Robotics, under review.
- A Haptic Feedback System for Phase-Based Sensory Restoration in Above-Knee Prosthetic Leg Users. A. Plauche, D. Villarreal, and R. Gregg. IEEE Transactions on Haptics, 9(3): 421-426, 2016, doi: 10.1109/TOH.2016.2580507.
- A Robust Parameterization of Human Gait Patterns Across Phase-Shifting Perturbations. D. Villarreal, H. Poonawala, and R. Gregg. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems & Rehabilitation Engineering, 25(3): 265-278, 2017, doi: 10.1109/TNSRE.2016.2569019.
- A Perturbation Mechanism for Investigations of Phase-Dependent Behavior in Human Locomotion. D. Villarreal, D. Quintero, and R. Gregg. IEEE Access, 4: 893-904, 2016, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2535661.
- Characterizing and Modeling the Joint-level Variability in Human Walking. A. Martin, D. Villarreal, and R. Gregg. Journal of Biomechanics, 49(14): 3298-3305, 2016, doi: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2016.08.015.
- Evaluation of Transradial Body-Powered Prostheses Using a Robotic Simulator. R. Ayub, D. Villarreal, R. Gregg, and F. Gao. Prosthetics & Orthotics International, 2016, doi: 10.1177/0309364616650077.
peer-reviewed conference proceedings
- Real-Time Continuous Gait Phase and Speed Estimation from a Single Sensor. D. Quintero, D. Lambert, D. Villarreal, and R. Gregg. To appear in IEEE Conf. on Control Technology and Applications (Invited Session on Robotic Locomotion Control), Hawaii, 2017.
- Piecewise and Unified Phase Variables in the Control of a Powered Prosthetic Leg. D. Villarreal, D. Quintero and R. Gregg. In IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics, London, United Kingdom, 2017.
- Preliminary Experiments with a Unified Controller for a Powered Knee-Ankle Prosthetic Leg Across Walking Speeds. D. Quintero, D. Villarreal, and R. Gregg. In IEEE Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots & Systems, Daejeon, Korea, 2016.
- Unified Phase Variables of Relative Degree Two for Human Locomotion. D. Villarreal and R. Gregg. In IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference, Orlando, FL, 2016.
- A Unified Parameterization of Human Gait Across Ambulation Modes. K. Embry, D. Villarreal, and R. Gregg. In IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference, Orlando, FL, 2016.
- A Perturbation Mechanism for Investigations of Phase Variables in Human Locomotion. D. Villarreal, D. Quintero, and R. Gregg. In IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics & Biomimetics (ROBIO), Zhuhai, China, 2015.
- A Survey of Phase Variable Candidates of Human Locomotion. D. Villarreal and R. Gregg. In IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference, Chicago, IL, 2014.