- The study can be conducted virtually via a network connection. You can participate in your own home!
- If you do not own a VR headset and are in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, you will visit our lab at SMU. All of our research staff members have completed COVID vaccinations, and we follow strict public health and COVID screening and safety protocols.
We are examining the use of virtual reality (VR) technology in understanding how people respond to different social interactions. You are eligible to participate if you:
- Identify as a Person of Color (e.g., African/Black American, Asian American, Hispanic/Latinx American, Native American/Hawaiian);
- Are English-speaking;
- Are 18-30 years old; and,
- (For the virtual/remote participation option only) Own an Oculus Rift/Rift S VR headset as well as a Windows computer with an internet connection:
- Computer specifications include: Intel i3-6100 AMD Ryzen 3 1200, FX 4350 or greater
- Graphics card: NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti/AMD Radeon TX 470 or greater/NVDIA GTX 960 4GB/AMD Radeon R29 290 or greater
- Memory: 8GB RAM or greater
- Operating system: Windows 10
- Other: Compatible DisplayPort video output for Rift/Rift S
- NOTE: you may be eligible if you have an Oculus Quest/Quest 2 VR headset and the Oculus Link cable to connect the device to a Windows computer.
If enrolled, you will participate in multiple VR simulations and complete survey questionnaires. The study will take about one (1) hour. Upon completion, you will receive a US$30.00 cash (in person)/electronic gift card (virtual) (students in the SMU psychology subject pool may opt to receive two research credits in place of gift card compensation).