Ambition

sunandsky

Just as Dan Pink explained in Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us, I too do not think highly of monetary motivation. Of course there is the need to earn bread on the table as an artist, but at what cost?

Pursuing a career outside of the arts is perfectly fine to whomever chooses that path; however, what are their motivations? When the average artist wakes up for the day their inspirational thoughts may not include, “Good morning, world! I know I’m going to be making an outstanding salary today!” in comparison to an accountant. That is not to say all non-artistic professions are associated with this belief. Quite frankly, what drives you can be numerous factors pertaining to monetary aspirations, emotional satisfaction, authoritative approval, etc. Artists just tend to set aside their desire for a lavish lifestyle in order to make room for one in which their hunger for fulfillment is met.

My ambition has its roots in satisfying my desire to learn how to better my approach in life. Whether it be learning, performing, or teaching, I must do anything possible to perceive life in a positive light. Respect, patience, kindness, and integrity are characteristics that I believe I have but must always be improving to truly receive the most out of life.

Note:  The image used was found through Google Images.