My Moral Compass

compass

For the past twelve years, I have been a student, and as a student, grades have been my number one priority. Maintaining excellent grades has its roots in the values of an individual. In order to earn a 4.0 GPA, you must persevere through the difficulties and challenges your tasks may ask of you, you must respect yourself and your peers to accomplish a task that was of your work and your work alone, and above all, you must believe that achieving success in such monotonous responsibilities will inevitably help you succeed in your future endeavors in your career.

But that can’t possibly mean that your grades are your life, right?

To my disadvantage, I have been an over people-pleaser. I seek for the approval of others in the form of words and actions, and when others are not satisfied in my work (i.e. grades, extracurricular accomplishments), I pull strings and my mental muscles to great lengths to win their affection back. While this is a quality that can be overly strenuous to my health, the value that is the foundation to this is simply respect.

I believe in the idea that you must respect yourself before you can reciprocate respect onto others. In a collaborative effort, I know I am capable of accomplishing all of my responsibilities, so I expect others to accomplish theirs out of respect for themselves and of the group. This can be exemplified in the work place, school projects, musical rehearsals, etc. To me, respect is the basis of all of my morals, and by respecting myself and others, I have the ability to create an environment where I can rise up to my full potential.

Note:  The image used was found through Google Images.