UNAM, Mexico City, Mexico, Physics, B.S. 1981
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA , Applied Mathematics M.S., 1983
University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, Applied Mathematics Ph.D., 1988
Professor, Department of Mathematics, Southern Methodist University 2008-
Chair, Department of Mathematics, Southern Methodist University 2015-2021
Chair, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of New Mexico, 2004-2008
Assistant, Associate, and Full Professor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of New Mexico, 1989-2008.
Visiting Associate Professor, Brown University, Applied Mathematics 09/1996- 05/1997.
Visiting Research Associate (1/90-6/90), Heriot-Watt University, 01/1990-06/1990.
- 1998-2001 University of New Mexico Regents Lecturer
- “David Alcaraz” Annual Lecture, UNAM (University of Mexico). Mexico City, Mexico. November 2001.
- Distinguished Lecture, Department of Mathematics, University of Texas Pan American, April 2010
- Elected Chair of the Nonlinear Waves and Coherent Structures Activity Group of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM). 2005-06.
- Member of Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society.
- Honorary Member of the Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society.
- Invited Professorship, Universite de Limoges, Research Institute, Photonics Department, Limoges France, July 2012.
- Faculty Fellow, Air Force Research Laboratory, Summers 2013, 14.
- Invited Professorship, Universita di Brescia, Department of Information Engineering, Brescia Italy, May-July 2015.
- Elected Fellow of the Optical Society of America, 2016.
- Invited Professorship, Laboratorie de Mathematiques INSA-Rouen, Rouen France, June 2016.
- Long term visitor, NSF Institute for Mathematics and its Applications, University of Minnesota, Spring 2017.
- Visiting researcher, University of Deusto, Bilbao Spain, June 2017.
- Shen, P. G. Kevrekidis, G. Srinivasan and A. B. Aceves (2016), “Existence, stability and dynamics of discrete solitary waves in a binary waveguide array”, Journ. of Phys. A 49, 29520.
- Tsampikos Kottos and Alejandro B. Aceves (2016), “Synthetic Structures with Parity-Time Symmetry”, Chapter 9, Book: Contemporary Optoelectronics: Materials, Metamaterials to Device Applications, “Springer Series in Optical Sciences V. 199”. O. Shulika and I. Sukhoivanvov, Editors.
- De Angelis, A. Locatelli, A. Mutti and A. Aceves, (2016), “Coupling dynamics of 1D surface plasmon polaritons in tunable 2D systems”, Optics Letters. 41, 480-483.
- Jessica Jultey and Alejandro B. Aceves (2016), ”Spontaneous PT Symmetry breaking in nonlinearly coupled van der Pol oscillators”, Studies in Applied Mathematics 137 (2) 256-270.
- Claudia Castro-Castro, Yannan Shen, Gowri Srinivasan, Alejandro B. Aceves, Panayotis G, Kevrekidis (2016), “Light dynamics in nonlinear trimers and twisted multicore fibers”, Journ. of Nonlinear Optical Physics and Materials 25 (4).
- Alexey Sukhinin, Alejandro Aceves, Jean-Claude Diels and Ladan Arissian (2017) “Collapse events of two-color optical beams”, Phys. Rev. A 95, 031801(R).
- Cuevas-Maraver, P. G. Kevrekidis, A. B. Aceves and A. Saxena (2017), “Solitary waves in a two dimensional binary waveguide array described by the discrete nonlinear Dirac equation”, Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical 50 (49), 495207
PI: ”SMU-RTG: Modeling and Computations for Complex Systems”, 08/01/19-07/31/24, National Science Foundation $2,343,000.
Single PI: ”Modeling Light Filamentation Science”, 08/01/19-07/31/22, National Science Foundation $169,989.
SMU-PI (Collaboration with UNM), ”Multi-color ﬁlaments for extended range, applied to remote sensing and laser induced EMP”, Army Research Oﬃce, 04/20/19-04/19/22, $185,000.
Most recent Synergistic activities
- Plenary speaker, XXX Inter-University Seminar on Research in the Mathematical Sciences (SIDIM) and Keynote speaker, Undergraduate Mathematics Research Conference (UMaRch), Universidad de Puerto Rico, Mayaguez, February, 2015. (Title of the talk: “Emerging opportunities of undergraduate research in nonlinear optics”)
- Invited participant of the National Academy of Engineering and the National research Council Workshop “Analytical Research Foundations for the Next Generation Grid”, Beckman Center, Irvine CA. February 11-12, 2015.
- Affiliate scientist at the Department of Energy Los Alamos National Laboratory (since 2003).
- Committee of Visitors (External review team), Division of Mathematical Sciences, National Science Foundation (NSF), 2016.
- Member of the Southern Methodist University Data Science Initiative Task Force, 2017-18.
- Invited speaker, SIAM Conference in Nonlinear Waves and Coherent Structures (NWCS18), June 11-14, 2018.
Students, Postdocs and Collaborators
Former and current SMU PhD students
- Alyssa Pampell (PhD June 2013), Orbital Debris Scientist, NASA Orbital Derbis Program.
- Edward Downes (PhD 2015), Mathematics High School Teacher St. Alcuin School
- Jessica Jutley (PhD 2017), Computational Scientists, Scala Computing, NYC..
- Claudia-Castro-Castro (PhD 2017), Postdoctoral Fellow UT Austin
- Austin Copeland (Expected PhD 2020)
Postdoctoral Mentoring at SMU: Dr. Yannan Shen (Currently at Cal State LA), Dr. Alexey Sukhinin (Most recently postdoctoral fellow U. Vermont), Dr. Daniel Cargill (Currently operations research analyst AFRL).
Most recent collaborators ; Prof Jean Claude Diels (University of New Mexico); Profs. Costantino de Angelis and Stefan,Wabnitz (University of Brescia, Italy) Dr. Jean Guy Caputo (INSA, Rouen France); Prof. Sergei Turitsyn, (Aston U., UK).