N. Shirlene Pearson, Ph.D.
Statistical and Research Consulting
PhD Dissertation: Time Series Analysis, MA Thesis: Algebra,
BA Minor: Biology, BA Minor: Chemistry
Statistics 6366 – Statistical Consulting
Statistics 2301 – Statistics for Modern Business Decisions
Statistics 2331 – Introduction to Statistical Methods
Statistical Consulting Experience (selected examples)
Expert Witness and Legal Support in Litigation – insurance fraud, employment discrimination, inventory disputes between companies, contract disputes between companies, medical malpractice, criminal probability modeling, expert testimony, sampling plans for large database auditing; Biostatistics and Clinical Trials – analysis of psychiatric instruments, degenerative loss of visual function, micro-array research, olfactory capacity modeling, physical therapy data analysis and modeling, brainwave responses of patients with communication disorders, cardiac rehabilitation study, effectiveness of cosmetic surgical procedures, cardiovascular risk study of a common type of antibiotic used in hospitals; Business Statistics – financial analysis modeling, credit risk modeling, sampling plans for auditing of large databases or inventories, forecasting methodology for real-estate analysis, sampling plans for customer satisfaction surveys, healthcare insurance subscriber trends; Anthropology - study of migratory patterns of ancient civilization in the Upper Karoo, South Africa; Communications - study comparing preference for surround sound versus traditional cinema sound technology; Education - assisted with exit survey of graduates to assess student satisfaction with curriculum and experiences while attending SMU's Meadows School of Fine Arts
Professional Affiliations and Activities
Member at Large, Section on Statistical Consulting, 2006-2008 Annual Joint Statistical Meetings
Program Chair, Section on Statistical Consulting, 2004 Annual Joint Statistical Meetings
Session Chair, Section on Statistical Consulting, 2004 Annual Joint Statistical Meetings
Session Chair, Section on Statistical Consulting, 2003 Annual Joint Statistical Meetings
Vice President and Program Chair,
American Statistical Association
Managing Editor, Selected Tables in Mathematical Statistics (1983-1990)
Editorial Board, Selected Tables in Mathematical Statistics (1974-1990)
Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society of
Southern Methodist University Dallas, TX 1999 - present
Statistical and Research Support Specialist, Academic Computing Services
Director, Center for Statistical Consulting and Research, Department of Statistical Science
Adjunct Professor, Department of Statistical Science
Sr. Engineer II, Network Design Standards, Network Reliability and Performance
Applied Research Laboratories, The
Research Scientist Associate V, Telecommunications
Systems & Network Modeling and Simulation, Radio Frequency Propagation
Analysis and Optimization Methods, Radio Frequency
System Test Branch Manager, Fire Support Artillery Test System Consultant
Bell Communications Research Red Bank, NJ 1984 - 1989
District Manager, Operator Systems Analysis
District Manager, Analysis Systems District
Member of Technical Staff, Software Systems and Software Quality Analytical Methods District
Member of Technical Staff, Switching Processor and Field Performance District
Bellcore Software Metrics Steering Committee Member
Center Technical Organization Contact for Ph.D./M.S. campus hires
Center representative to the Area Peer Group
Center alternate representative to Bellcore's Early Career Advisory Program Committee
Center Management Committee Member - address career development issues
Division Education and Training Coordinator
Session Chair, Army Research Office Workshop on System Reliability
Developed two modules of Bellcore's Reliability Workshop
Bell Telephone Laboratories
Member of Technical Staff, System Analysis and Human Factors Group
Member of Technical Staff, Network and Processor Utilization Group
Department of Statistics
Research Assistant, Office of Naval Research Grant
Texas Instruments Dallas, TX 1976 (summer student intern)
Ecological Services Group, Statistical Consultant/Analyst
1. Numerous confidential reports in support of projects relating to statistical expert testimony, statistical litigation support and other statistical consulting activities.
2. Pearson, N. S. SONET Network Availability Models, MCI WorldCom, confidential technical document.
3. Pearson, N. S. Dual Ring Availability Analysis, MCI WorldCom, confidential technical analysis document.
4. Pearson, N. S. Availability Analysis Tool Requirements, MCI WorldCom, confidential technical document.
5. Pearson, N. S. OC-48 Line Performance Study, MCI WorldCom, confidential study.
6. Pearson, N. S. Network
Reduction, Applied Research Laboratories, The
7. Pearson, N. S. Ellipsoidal
Geodesy, Applied Research Laboratories, The
8. Pearson, N. S. Dynamic
Allocation of Probability Thresholds for Radio Frequency Mission Planner
Acquisition Missions, Applied Research Laboratories, The
9. Pearson, N. S. and P. Welton, Survey of Modern Optimization Methods, Applied
Research Laboratories, The
10. Chaddha, R. L., A. W. King, and N. S. Pearson, Providing Buyer Feedback on Digital Switch Field Performance, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, October, 1988.
11. Chaddha, R. L., A. W. King, and N. S. Pearson, Providing Buyer Feedback on Digital Switch Field Performance, IEEE International Conference on Communications, June 7-10, 1987. Presenter: N. S. Pearson.
12. Pearson, N. S. and G. G. Brush, Framework for
Software-Quality Life-Cycle Data and Metrics,
13. Pearson, N. S., Several restricted publications of
Reliability Review Forum activities for a major telecommunications supplier and
field performance studies of their large switching system.
14. Pearson, N. S., Several Bell Communications Research Technical Analysis Reports of operator services and telecommunications switching systems suppliers, Bell Communications Research, 1986 - 1989.
15. Pearson, N. S., 4 ESS - Preliminary Guidelines for Memory and Disk Engineering for 4E9 Features, Bell Telephone Laboratories, Memorandum for File, July 22, 1983.
16. Pearson, N. S., 4E9/APS Disk Engineering,
17. Pearson, N. S., Proposed Expansion of S Graphics,
18. Pearson, N. S. and J. L. Santee, T/C CPT Analysis System Measurement Requirements, Bell Telephone Laboratories, Memorandum for File, April 28, 1982.
19. Pearson, N. S., No. 2BE3 Main Processor Simulator and
20. Pearson, N. S., No. 2BE3-RSS Traffic Measurements
21. Pearson, N. S., 2BE3 Post-cutover Capacity
Determination - Requirements for EADAS/NORGEN,
22. Pearson, N. S., 2B-EF-2 and 2BE3 Register Requirements
23. Pearson, N. S., No. 2B-EF-2 Post-cutover Processor Capacity - Worksheets for a Semi-automated Procedure, Bell Telephone Laboratories, Memorandum for File, 1981.
24. Pearson, N. S., No. 2B-EF-2 Post-cutover Processor
25. Pearson, N. S., No. 2B-EF-1 Post-cutover Processor
26. Pearson, N. S., No. 2ESS Percent Call Carrying Capacity, Bell Telephone Laboratories, Memorandum for File, 1980.
27. Pearson, N. S., Proposed Revision of Line Scanning
Strategy for No. 2B ESS,
28. Pearson, N. S., Post-cutover Processor Capacity Determination - No. 2B ESS Manual Procedure, Bell Telephone Laboratories, Memorandum for File, March 28, 1980.
29. Pearson, N. S., Algorithmic Call Type Definitions for Current Local ESSs and Measurement Specifications, Bell Telephone Laboratories, Memorandum for File, December 12, 1979.
30. Pearson, N. S., Generating Telephone Traffic,