Nicole Fantine Bordelon

Blog #2: Hard Work leads to Happiness

Aside from the obviously necessary consumption of food, water, and oxygen, every human being needs happiness in order to survive a healthy life.  This is the simple lesson that I have learned in my “Personal Responsibility and Wellness” course.  For me personally, I can say that singing music makes me happy.  I live and breathe music.  I constantly feel the need to improve my art and sing as much as possible.  This is why I chose to study music at SMU.  So if singing makes me happy, and I must have happiness in my life to survive, then I guess that means I have to pursue a career in music?  If only it were that simple.  Sadly, pursuing a career in the arts is becoming an increasingly difficult task.  There exists a common stereotype of the “struggling artist” due to the fact that so many people love the arts, yet there are so few opportunities to perform as a career.  Relating to my economics class, this can be looked at as an issue of scarcity.   As an up-and-coming artist, it is intimidating to look into the future of the unknown.  Can we really pursue a career in the arts?

Although it may be difficult, it is definitely an achievable task.  In my FACE class at SMU, I am beginning to learn that there are many paths you can take which incorporate the arts into your career.  Some career examples are performing, composing, teaching, and more.  You can even pursue a career as, say, a lawyer, but occasionally sing on the side.  Regardless of the path you choose, you must know how to market yourself effectively.  If you seek out these opportunities and sell yourself as an artist, your chances of success can increase dramatically.

Going along with this, I’ve been trying to identify my strengths and weaknesses in my working habits as an artist.  I know that I am hard working, diligent, and motivated.  This applies to both school work and music.  For example, when given a new song for my repertoire, I will practice for hours until I feel prepared.  These are all positive qualities of a successful artist that I can use to my greatest advantage.  However, I can at times feel a lack of confidence.  In some ways this is good because it pushes me to work even harder.  I do need to improve my confidence overall.  This is a successful characteristic that will help me grow in the future.

Even after a short 2 weeks at SMU, I can already see that there are many valuable lessons to be learned.  I cannot wait to continue absorbing advice from my professors and broadening my knowledge of what music has to offer in the future. After all, music makes me happy, and everyone needs happiness to survive :).