Plan

My mom always told me to start mazes at the end and work backwards. Beginning at the end may be paradoxical but it is also a very useful tool for more than mazes on a cereal box. To make my four year college plan I looked ahead to where I wanted to be at the end of my undergraduate career. I see myself as a music therapist, probably working in a hospital so that I can work with a wide range of clients from people with cancer, those going through bone marrow transplants, dementia, and brain damage. I also will be getting an internship in music therapy who knows where in order to finish my necessary credits after graduation. That leaves four years at good old SMU. As much as I have enjoyed my incredible teachers and classes this first semester, I know that spending my entire undergrad at SMU, in Dallas will get old. I mean honestly, how long can I feign interest in conversations about bar tabs and people getting punched and using their dad’s credit card?? The answer is: not long. Therefore I know that I will travel abroad for my first semester Junior year. I haven’t decided exactly where my study abroad will be but I know that in order to make it happen, I have to make up my practicum. I have to say that I felt set back when my academic counselor told me that I couldn’t study abroad because I would miss a whole semester of practicum which could not be made up anywhere else. Au Contraire, Mon Frere. Dr. Krout, head of the music therapy department had told us about this trip to Jamaica through a program called Jamaica Field Service Project. The slide show in class looked amazing and I was definitely interested in going. But it costs $5,000 to go. The plus side is that you get 3 practicum credits…the equivalent of a whole semester…I found my key to studying abroad. Second semester Junior year I will be in Psychiatric Music Therapy, Practicum, Hand Drumming, and Conducting. As of now, I am into the program for this summer and can’t wait to work with my first “clients”. As for the next semester and following year I will keep trucking through school and join a sorority. To break it down even further, this week is the last before reading days and finals and I will be spending most of my time in the library.

Having a plan that I can work towards gives me something to look forward to and a definite advantage. “You don’t waste time do you?” my voice teacher always says to me, and no ma’am I do not. I know where I will be in 3 weeks, 8 months and 4 years but everything is subject to change and I am ready for whatever will come.

This is our last assigned blog but let me know if there is something else that you are curious and I will do some more! Happy Holidays