“He who undervalues himself is justly undervalued by others.” -William Hazlitt

That’s just it folks. I value myself, and I make sure that I know my worth and that I hold myself to my own standards. I’ve never been one for belief, I mean I’m very spiritual so all that I do and value I do more for my soul than my physical being. I believe that keeping my inner self healthy and happy keeps my outer self up to par. If I do come off as having a belief by things that I do or say, then I leave you with this quote:

“Your beliefs become your thoughts,

Your thoughts become your words,

Your words become your actions,

Your actions become your habits,

Your habits become your values,

Your values become your destiny.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

In myself and others I value the common sense sort of things: honestly, kindness, ingenuity, acceptance, accountability- basically I value an extraordinary person, at heart. At least good people. I have a strong belief that I took on through playing Mother in Agnes of God by  John Pielmeier. It quotes, “Good people, yes. But extraordinary good people? I’m afraid those are hard to find these days”. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no pessimist, It’s just hard to value some people today.

values In a partner, however, I value a many things. I am speaking about a work partner, in the field of acting, of course. I value adaptability. They have to be able change, they have to be willing to change, and they have to be able to recognize that, if the change isn’t what they want but is happening anyway, they have to leave their feelings at the door and let the moment captivate them. I understand the values of others- i.e. if someone is a very firm believer in Christianity and therefore does not want to do any sinful or tasteless plays because of it. I actually value their firm beliefs and their values. However, I do not value this characteristic if, and only if, it is within the character playing opposite me. I value courage in an acting partner, and trust as well as an open mind. I very rarely have values so strong that they stop me from doing/ accomplishing a character. By that I mean under topics of religion or sex. With theater, the character I play does not determine the person I am, that’s why it’s called acting. You play who you play, love them for everything they are or are not and, at the end of the day, let them go because they aren’t you. It takes a strong mind and soul to be an actor/ actress, to not get sucked into the characters we play.

Let me reiterate myself, I value my mind, I value my soul, I value myself. I will always value someone who accepts and respects my values as an individual as I will accept and respect others values. 🙂